Back in 2003, Prof. Bert Vaux posted a dialect survey to help determine how people pronounced certain words and the difference in the words used to describe certain items or events. The dialect survey has now become a viral internet challenge known as the – Accent tag or Accent Challenge.
Table of Contents
How To Do The Accent Tag
To play the accent tag, you would have to answer a series of questions known as the – accent tag questions. Afterward, you will pronounce a list of words that helps determine your accent.
The Accent Tag Questions
The following questions are the list of accent tag questions you have to answer:
- What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
- What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?
- What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
- What do you call gym shoes?
- What do you say to address a group of people?
- What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
- What do you call your grandparents?
- What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
- What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
- What is the thing you change the TV channel with?
Accent Tag Words
The following are words you have to pronounce:
Aunt, Roof, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting image, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Syrup, Pajamas, Caught, Naturally, Aluminium, and Envelope.
Accent Challenge Videos
Enough explaining, the following are videos of the accent challenge as it is called by YouTubers and Tumblr bloggers:
Accent Challenge Video – (Jamaican Accent)
When taking the tag, it is best you signify what type of accent you have – in this case, the girls have a Jamaican accent.
Accent Tag Video – Grav3yardgirl
Popular YouTuber answers the accent tag questions and her viewers love every pixel of the video:
Accent Challenge Video – Swedish version
Ever wondered what a Sweedish version of the accent challenge would sound like?
There you go, that’s how you do the accent tag.